We have put together some of the most commonly asked questions:

  • How do I get a diagnostic dyslexia assessment?

    First, check if it could be funded:

    • If you are in education, a school may fund it.  Schools should publish Information Reports and Special Needs Policies on their website. These will detail criteria for a diagnostic assessment. A diagnostic assessment is not needed in order to receive SEN support;
    • If you are in Higher Education, consult the Disability Adviser, as a University might contribute towards an assessment. You do need a post 16 diagnostic assessment to apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA);
    • If you are employed, consult the Occupational Health or Human Resources dept, as an employer might fully or part fund an assessment.

     British Dyslexia Association Assessments pageFind out more about assessments and how to book them on the BDA website.

  • What support is available at school?

    With the introduction of the SEN Code of Practice all classroom teachers should be able to support students with dyslexia.

    SEN support can be made available without a diagnostic assessment. 

    All schools should publish Information Reports and Special Needs Policies which will detail what additional support is available. These should be available on the school website.

    Lots more information is available on the My child’s education pages.

  • Can my child have special arrangements for their GCSE exams?
  • What support is available at college?

    The college must use its 'best endeavours' to give the student the support that they need. This is known as SEN Support. The student may be eligible for reasonable adjustments such as Exam Access Arrangements and the use of assistive technology.

    You should consult the Learning Support Team to find out what is available, and to discuss this further.

    Find out more on the Support during further education/apprenticeships pages

  • What support is available at university?

    With the introduction of the Equality Act 2010, universities have a duty to support their students with Special Educational Needs (SEN).  Additional support may also be available through the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA). 

    • Talk to the Disability Adviser at the university to see what support is available before you apply for, or start, your course.
    • Find out more on the Support during Higher Education pages.

    Gov.uk: Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disabilityThe Gov.uk wlll help you to find out more about eligibility for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).

  • I'm losing my job. What can I do?

    Under the Equality Act 2010, employers have a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' to the workplace to enable a member of staff with dyslexia to perform their role.

    If the support you need at work isn't covered by your employer making reasonable adjustments then Access to Work may be able to cover the costs of practical support in the workplace.
     Gov.uk: Access to Work

    If your employer is not willing to make adjustments, or you feel you are facing discrimination

  • What benefits are there for dyslexic people?

    There are no specific benefits for dyslexic people.  But you might be eligible for:

  • Can I get help with filling out forms?

    Some libraries will assist people with form filling. Or help may be available from a Local Dyslexia Association.
     British Dyslexia Association: Local Dyslexia AssociationsThe British Dyslexia Association has a comprehensive list of local dyslexia associations. 

  • What are my rights as a dyslexic?

    Dyslexia is a recognised disability under the Equality Act (2010). This protects people with dyslexia from discrimination in the workplace and in wider society.

    For specific examples please refer to the relevant section on dyslex.io.

  • Is dyslexia hereditary?

    Research continues on this subject, but evidence suggests that dyslexia could well be hereditary:

    Dyslexia Research TrustRead more about the genetics of dyslexia from the Dyslexia Research Trust.

  • How can I improve spelling?

    For spelling tips or assistive technology solutions, have a look at these pages:

    Teacher: Teaching for dyslexia videos

    Parent: How can I support my child?

    Over 16s: Adult study skills

    Under 16s: Assistive technology

  • How can I find a dyslexia tutor?
  • I would like to do a Specialist teacher training course
  • How do I support my child at home?
  • How do I talk to my child about dyslexia?

    Have a look at our How to talk to your child about dyslexia pages.

  • Who are the dyslexia friendly employers?

    We do not hold a list of dyslexia friendly employers, but the British Dyslexia Association offers the Quality Mark for employers who wish to demonstrate their commitment to equality and diversity.

    British Dyslexia Association: Quality Mark

  • Is dyslexia a disability?

    Yes, it is recognised as a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

    Gov.uk: Equality Act 2010

  • Should I declare my dyslexia at work?

    There is no legal obligation to do so; but disclosure could ensure that you receive the right support.